Friday, October 23, 2015

Antique White Dresser




I received this beautiful dresser as a custom order. There is an entire set with bed frame and tall dresser that I will be working on as well.  This has been in my client's family for a very long time and they wanted to change the look and now use it for their adorable baby girl's room once she is out of her nursery. 

It had been painted previously in a green color with a glaze. Here is a picture of the color, unfortunately I did not get a great before picture that included the entire dresser.


I lightly sanded the existing paint with 150 grit paper and then applied primer to make sure nothing came through with the white paint. The below picture is after one coat of primer. I then added a second coat to get more even coverage. I think that was mostly due to me not mixing it properly the first time. That is also my crazy garage where I work on projects and have my currents WIPs.


This piece had the original hardware, but it was very tarnished. I wanted to save the hardware as much as I could to keep the history of the piece. To clean it, I used bar keepers friend, hot water and a toothbrush. I spent a good amount of time cleaning, but was very happy with the results. Look at the difference! 



For the paint, I used General Finished Antique White milk paint and it took about three coats even with the primer. White is one of my favorite colors to paint, but if definitely requires a lot of coats. The Antique White milk paint coverage is great and it is such a beautiful shade of white, perfect for the beauty of this dresser. Next, I used General Finishes High Performance Top Coat in flat to seal the dresser with a foam brush. 

This is one of my favorite pieces I have done, hoping to come across more pieces like this soon. The detail on it is incredible as well as the quality of the dresser.





For my staging, I think I need to start hanging items on the wall, but I am afraid to put a bunch of holes in it. Does anyone have any tips for that?

Thanks for reading, 

4 comments:

  1. This turned out so pretty! I love the color, and it looks great with your staging and the floor. As for the wall, maybe try a picture ledge? Then you can move things around without having to patch your walls... Nice to meet you on the Weekend Retreat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meredith - thanks so much for the tip! That is a great idea. Now I have to find one. Hope you are having a great week!

      Delete
  2. Isn't it fun to work on something that stunning to begin with? And then, to work your magic on it and it somehow becomes something more stunning? Lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it definitely is Queen Patina. Thank you so much for the kind comment!

      Delete