Friday, June 26, 2015

Solid Vintage Cherry Dresser

I love to scan the local Craigslist for furniture. I came across this great 8 drawer solid cherry dresser for a very good price. The ladies mom was going into assisted living and she was getting ready to sell her condo. This lady kept this dresser in great condition. I couldn't believe how heavy it was! Sorry the before picture isn't that great.

When I got to working on it, I found this great Sterling House label in the top drawer. I did a little research and I think this piece probably dates back to the 1950's. 


I sanded down the top with my Ryobi Random Orbit Sander. I would highly recommend this sander. It had a bag to collect dust and you can also hook it up to a shop vac if you have the right adapter for the shop vac. The wood grain was incredible on the dresser once it was sanded, this picture does not do it justice.


I applied one coat of General Finishes Java Gel Stain. I always apply this with a foam brush and then wipe off the excess after about 10 minutes with paper towels. 


Then I painted the rest of the dresser with Behr's New House White. I love their Premium Plus Ultra Interior Matte paint. It has great coverage and can easily be converted into chalk paint with Plaster of Paris. And here is the dresser, I just loved how it turned out. I am looking for another one after I fell in love with this one. 


Thanks so much for reading! XO,
Shayla

You can find me linked up to:



No comments:

Post a Comment