Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Teal Is the Deal




This desk is one my of my favorites that I have done. I got lucky and bought a shutter cabinet from this nice guy on a local Facebook group and told him I like to refinish furniture. He messaged me about two weeks later with this desk and let me make an offer on it as he was helping a friend clean out a house. I fell in love with the cute little legs it is on and had to have it. 

When I picked it up, I was very happy to see that it was all solid wood and the drawers still work well. The first thing I did was sand down the wood with my Ryobi orbital sander. First with 80 grit sand paper and then with 150 grit to smooth it out. I loved all the natural wood grain!



Then I applied one coat of General Finishes Java Gel stain  with a foam brush and gloves. I leave it on for about 5 minutes and then wipe it off with paper towel or an old t-shirt. This is what it looked like when I was finished.

Then when I was done, I applied two coats of Varathane Triple Thick Polyurethane in semi-gloss. For the base of the desk and the drawers, I went with Behr paint, in aquatic green. I made it into chalk paint with Plaster of Paris using the 3-1-1 ratio with water and it required two coats. I repainted the wood knobs of this dresser with gold spray paint and then lined the drawers with some fun paper I found at the Dollar Tree. I was very impressed with how fast this desk sold on a local Facebook group, it was picked up within two hours of me listing it. 





Thanks for reading,
Shayla


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

3 comments:

  1. Shayla, what a beautiful desk! I've always wanted to try the java gel stain and after reading this post it makes me want to try it even more. Hope your week has been awesome, CoCo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much CoCo! Your comment means a lot to me :) I am a huge fan of java gel stain, I would highly recommend it. If you have any questions, please let me know!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete