Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Farmhouse Side Table


You've probably noticed that I haven't posted in a few months on here. 

I have still been finding pieces and projects, but have not had much motivation to actually work on them. For this, I am attributing it to my new real-world job that I started last November. It has certainly been keeping me busy, but for the rest of the year, I am making a dedicated effort to work on projects for the rest of the year. When I was really working on this, I couldn't wait to get out of work to go home to work on this. I missed that little bit of excitement in my nights and now it is back!

Anyways, so with this table, found it as a local Goodwill. Like I do with all my projects, I fall in line with all the details, original hardware and great lines. It was also marked as solid mahogany. It was pretty scratched up, had collected quite a few dust bunnies and looked like some sort of liquid has been dropped on it. 

So to start, I started with my Shop-Vac (Christmas gift from my dad from 2014, thank you Dad!) and go rid of the bunnies and spider webs. Next, I used mixed TSP and hot water to wash it down. I was really hoping this would clean whatever liquid had dropped on this table so I wouldn't get any bleed through in the paint. Then, I lightly sanded with 150 grit sand paper and gave it one final sweep with the Shop-Vac. Here she was before I started painting. 


My eye usually only sees in neutral colors, so of course I wanted to go white for this table. I decided to use Behr's New House White. For my projects, I have been using Behr paint for quite some time. Behr Premium Plus Ultra has always been my preference for the specific product, in hopes that it will really block stains. For this project, I wanted chalk paint so I could distress it. I used the same recipe that I have always used, one part water and one part Plaster of Paris mixed first, then three parts paint. Works like a charm every time.

So I start spraying with my Home Right Finish Max sprayer and get the first coat on. Within a few minutes, I could already see the bleed through [insert sad face here]. From my experience, there are just some stains that come through no matter what. That is when I go to Zinsser Shellac primer in the spray can form. I have used this on multiple projects and it has blocked every single stain, absolutely love it and highly recommend. They occasionally go on sale at Home Depot, so I usually try to get quite a few when they do. 

Then, the table just needed two more coats of paint to get full coverage. Here is a sneak peak after I did some slight distressing:


One part of this table that I did not take pictures of before/during/after that I am sad about is the hardware. It was so tarnished, but had such great character. So one morning as I was getting ready for work, I put the pieces in a bowl and sprayed on the liquid form of Barkeepers Friend. It sat for probably about 20 minutes. Then I washed it all off with a scrubby and couldn't believe how the hardware looked brand new again. Pictures next time for sure. 

Then to seal the table, I sprayed on General Finish HPTC in Satin. Here is the final table, I absolutely love it. Can't wait to start on some more projects again. 




What do you all think? 

Thanks so much for reading, hope everyone is enjoying 2017 so far!

-Shayla






Friday, February 24, 2017

Dresser Turned Entertainment Center w/ Wine Rack




When I bought my condo, I was very fortunate to get an awesome neighbor downstairs who has turned out to be a great friend, almost like a fun second grandpa. I knew we would get along just great when he showed me this amazing old antique lamp that he has had with him for 30+ years. He has full on cable and I don't, so we occasionally watch Flea Market Flip. After seeing my work and some of the fun projects on the show, he asked me to make him an entertainment center with a wine rack. 



So I was on a mission to find the perfect piece for him. I found a great Henredon dresser on CL while perusing it on a Saturday night. Small world, it turned out I knew the person selling it. The next morning, I went to pick it up. And then it sat in my garage for quite awhile. Finally around January, I started working on it.



I had never reconstructed a dresser before. First, I started taking of the back. It had these very old nails in it. Here is a picture as I was taking of the back. I then took out all the drawer slides and stops.


My vision was to buy a big piece of wood that I could slide in through the back to make the shelf for the cable box and router. I found a big piece of wood a Home Depot that would do the trick. I also bought two pieces of wood to cut for the wine rack. My dad came over and helped me cut all the wood. Here is the dresser with the wood piece after it was cut. Had to make sure it fit!


I then sanded everything using my Ryobi sander and stained it all with General Finishes Java Gel Stain. Here are the pieces after they were stained. I absolutely love how the stain really brought out the wood grain.


After this, I sanded down the top and stained that using the Java gel stain. 



Once I was happy with the top, I taped plastic to protect it and began spraying. My neighbor picked out Tuscany Hillside for the color. I used my favorite HomeRight Finish Max Sprayer for this. 


For the two middle drawers, I wanted to keep those wood. so I sanded those down and stained them as well. Here is the before and after.


And there here she is, all finished after I sprayed on topcoat! I used HPTC in satin and also wetsanded the paint prior to spraying on topcoat to try to get that antiqued look. I apologize for the photos, didn't get to bring it to my usual staging spot. 




So happy she is finished and in her new home. My neighbor absolutely loves it. He did eventually hide all his cords, thank goodness. My cord OCD'ness was on high alert. Hope everyone is has a great weekend!

-Shayla